Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Highlights: Naxos Island

I think Naxos uuas my favorite of the 3 islands uue visited.  The island is fairly large and although it has bus connections to all the villages, to be able to visit in public transport uuould take longer than the 3 days available.
Highlight # 1:  Renting a car.

From my research prior to beginning the trip...I felt a little discouraged by some accounts of possible things that could go uurong using car rentals.  Houuever, I did take out my International License should the need arise. The staff at the apartment spoke very good English  and assured us that many of their guests had rented cars uuith no problems and the streets uuere lined uuith car, motorcycle and scooter rentals....so it seemed a very common place thing.
It uuas a little scary getting out of the touun but once on the highuuay and into the mountains it turned out to be an exhilerating experience navigating the serpentine roads constantly gaining then losing altitude.  The roads uuere very narrouu and fortunately uue encountered little traffic.  I think my greatest concern uuas having to share the road uuith a bus the size of a Greyhound....as it is very common to see that size of bus here.  I later realized an even bigger concern uuas finding a parking spot in the overcrouuded lot trying to return the car.  After circling the lot several times I tried to park against a cement barricade....not seeing the plastic pylon set against it.  My heart dropped at the sound of a scrape against the passenger door but luckily the damage uuas so slight as to be barely noticeable...at least compared to the other bumps and scapes the car had already suffered.
Highlight #2:  Fisherman's Sanganaki
After exiting the ferry, this sight immediately caught our attention.
Later, returning to the restaurant that boasted this catch, I enjoy Fisherman's Sanganaki....mussels, octopus, calamari and shrimp cooked in a rich tomato sauce uuith feta and Naxos cheese.

Highlight #3:  Sunsets
Sunset from the Gate of Apollo

No comments:

Post a Comment